Fresh Oysters with Mango-Lime Granita
Cold and refreshing flavours with the option of adding a hint of jalapeno; granita is easy to prepare at home.
- 1 cup (250ml) Water
- 2 tbsp (30ml) Honey
- 1/4 tsp (1.25ml) Salt
- 2 cups (500ml) Frozen Mango
- 1 each Lime zested and juiced
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp (7-15ml) Jalapeno chopped (optional)
- Oysters as desired
- Place water, honey and salt into a medium pot; heat over medium-high heat until honey is melted.
- Remove water mixture from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Place water, mango, lime zest & juice (and jalapeno) into a blender, blend on high until smooth.
- Pour mango mixture into a metal pan and place in the freezer. As the granita freezes, scrape with a fork to prevent from freezing in a solid block. Continue scraping and freezing for 4-6 hours or until all the mixture has frozen.
- Shuck oysters and place onto a plate or serving platter.
- Scrape granita with a fork so it is light and fluffy then top each oyster and serve.
CHEF’S TIP: this recipe easily makes enough granita for 3-4 dozen oysters. Use as much or little as desired and freeze the leftovers.