Oysters Toasts with Bacon, Onions & Stout
Bacon, onions and stout pair well with oysters; add pumpernickel bread and it will be your new favourite comfort food.
- 1⁄2 pound (227 grams) Reduced Salt Bacon chopped
- 1⁄2 cup (125ml) Onion chopped
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1 tsp (5ml) Fresh Thyme removed from stem
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Stout*
- 18-20 each Oysters shucked and drained
- 4 pieces Pumpernickel Bread toasted
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat; add bacon and cook until crispy.
- Remove bacon from heat and strain; set bacon aside and add some of the bacon fat back to the pan.
- Add onions, garlic, fresh thyme & black pepper and reduce heat to medium; cook until onions are softened.
- Deglaze the pan with the stout scraping to remove any crispy onion bits.
- Rinse oysters under cold running water and add to the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove from heat and fold in crispy bacon. Top toasted pumpernickel with oyster & bacon mixture and serve immediately. If desired top with a sunny side up egg for breakfast.
- *Stout can be replaced with your favourite beer, wine, chicken or vegetable broth or heavy cream.